Old 20-06-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strimmer with autofeed that works?

Me here wrote:

"JimP" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve Jones wrote:

The simple answer is NO--I've had several strimmers and never had (or
heard of) any that actualy dispense line correctly. Live with it!!!!

Utter ********!

It depends on the line type, rotation speed and how aggressive you are with
it.

Go to a local agricultural dealer with the head, purchase some more suitable
industrial type line which will fit and use the machine as a STRIMMER not a
brushcutter.

15 years in plant and golf course maintenance taught me it's usually the
operator being a little *too* aggressive which causes the line problems
especially with the crap line supplied with the DIY machines.

Yes, that's my experience too.

I have had several strimmers over the years (including a big petrol
powered one that had a brush cutter blade as well).

Currently I have two small[ish] electric strimmers. One is the
smallest auto-feed B&D which has worked very well for me, it's light
enough to be waved around with just one hand holding it and the
auto-feed really works, no bouncing the end on stones needed. It also
doesn't tend to break teh line if you're a bit over enthusiatic as
it's not terribly powerful.

The bigger one I have is a Bosch with detachable wheels, ideal for use
under low trees etc. It's more powerful so if you go too close to a
fence or some such it *does* break the line. It also neeeds to be
'bounced' to feed more line.

--
Chris Green