Old 20-06-2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default 3 year old apple trees not producing any more

"Apple trees (fruiting varieties) are listed as hardy from zones 4 to 8, though there
are a few crabapple species that are hardy to Zone 2. If you want to grow an apple
tree, however, it isn't impossible! Planting the tree on a south facing slope with
good drainage and protection from winter winds can raise the microclimate of an area,
to the point that you may have success with apples. It can be quite amazing what you
can grow in lower zones if you put plants in just the right places. I would suggest
that the best place to look for plants that will survive your conditions would be a
local nursery, if you have one, or in seed catalogues such as McFayden, West Coast
Seeds, or Thompson and Morgan, if you want a few names to get started with."
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...read.php?t=556
you need to contact a university or some such that can give you advice on what to
plant and how to create microclimates. I think the blossoms are getting killed.
Ingrid

TG wrote:

Thanks for the answers all.

The first year they did not produce, it was the next year.

There has been very little or no blossoming in the past 2 springs

I am in zone 2 or 2a, and I'm not sure what the trees are as the labels
have faded.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com