Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Dave Millman

Default Anyone like to help?

Dustin wrote:

Hi Dave,

Very Helpful..

So by this Im guessing Im probably lacking Nirtogen? I have a test kit, and
will test for this later tonight...

If that is the case, what ratio should i mix the KNO3 with water, and what
is the estimated dosage per 125 gallons? or will that vary completly by the
status of my tank?

It will vary. Start slow, since Nitrate is a toxin and a sudden change can kill
fish. In my case, I slowly increased the Nitrate dosage from 1/8 tsp per week to
the current 3/4 tsp per week, which keeps me stable at around 10ppm.

I think the iron level should be fine because i have 95% Flourite substrate.

Flourite is great, it's all I use, but you still need to add iron. PMDD is
designed to provide traces indexed to iron level. A test kit will tell you how
much you have.

Also an overdose of the TMG probably explains the green water - over dosage
of Phosphorous.. Or am I off?

As I said, urrent thinking is that an excess of Phosphate IN THE ABSENCE OF
OTHER IMPORTANT NUTRIENTS will encourage algae. The trick is not to obsess over
phosphate, because it is a macronutrient after all, but to provide the other
necessary nutrients. Here's a useful post on that one:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...b1d7e4d&rnum=1