Old 20-06-2006, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default Article about boarding orchids

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:34:31 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

I know what you mean, Eric. There are plenty of people out on our barrier
islands who "rent" plants. I think Bill Hill (Orchid Island Orchids)
provides that service, and I'm sure he's not the only one. And there are
those who call themselves "Orchid Doctors", literally making house calls to
repot and provide general maintenance.

Sometimes it's a good thing not to have so much money that you lose focus on
the beauty around you.

Diana

Colorado Springs has one, but the rental plants are on a short trip
from Hawaii to a hotel or cowboy mansion to the compost heap. They
come back and get 1/2 credit on the next display purchase. The out of
bloom stock, with or without tags (depending on the renter) is sold as
is for $4-$10. The shop is no more than a florist with living plants
to place rather than cut flowers. So many come back in worse
condition that HD grows them, that we only visited once.
SuE