Old 21-06-2006, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Robinia Trees

On 20/6/06 23:20, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"wheator" wrote

I have a young Robinia tree - it's just over 2 years old now and the 1st
year's growth was quite vigourous and all looked well. However this
year's growth seems a little strange to me - new growth seems to have
started some way up the branches from last year and it has bare
branches above this new growth - these bare branches above are about
12- 18 inches in length. I was wonderding if this is normal for this
type of tree, and will last year's bare branches sring forth any new
shoots this year?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Our large R. pseudoacacia "Tortuosa" always has branches, both big and
small, that die off each year. Lots of twiggy bits died off this winter and
have been shed and I've had to cut off some dead larger branches that might
fall and cause damage.
Flowered well though but strangely still not fully in leaf, possibly the
dryness around here.

I'd say it was normal from our experience.

This is one of the reasons that we tend to recommend Gleditsia triacanthos
'Sunburst' for people who want a tree of that colour. It doesn't suffer
from the brittle branches and died back bits Robinias seem to get.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk