Old 21-06-2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
R. Kannan

Default Japanese Maple branches dry

Layne wrote:

Some more info is needed to give a us a better idea. Was the tree
recently planted? How is the weather? How often are you watering it
and for how long? Did the drying up of the leaves happen quickly, like
almost overnight, or slowly over a period of days?

Japanese maples need a bit of shade in the southern climates but I'm
quite sure in Michigan they'd be okay in full sun or southern/western
exposure depending on the cultivar. I've seen many maples in full sun
on a recent trip to Long Island, NY.

The main causes of maple leaves/branches dying on us are under or over
watering, or a period of really hot dry winds. Here in So. Cal. we can
get hot, dry desert winds called Santa Ana winds. Our maples can look
just fine one day and the next day the winds can dessicate the leaves
a little or a lot.

Layne

1 The tree was not recrntly plotted. It has been there for 7 years.

2 It has not been very hot here this year so far. It reached 90 on 2-3 days.
Otherwise it has been mid70s-low 80s.

3. Leaves look OK and I can see some new leaves (light pink/red). But some
branches are devoid of leaves and look very dry. This did not happen over
night. I noticed it only this spring.

4. The tree is on the southeastern and gets moning sunshine but afternoon
shade.

5. It is in a flower bed and gets watered 4 times a week for about 10 mins.

TIA for any help.