Old 21-06-2006, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Default Spring Hill experience?

Rick & LeeAnn wrote:
Hi,
Has anyone here had any experience with Spring Hill? I remember years
ago, people being ripped off by Michigan Bulb. Looking through the SH
catalog, the prices seem to be *really* low, and the saying "If
something seems to be too good to be true, it usually is." keeps
running through my mind! I would appreciate any info, pro or con that
anyone can give.
Thanks!
Lee Ann

I've read the negative online reports about Spring Hill. I ordered from
them once, two years ago, before I learned I could buy all the
perennials I needed locally.

Eight of the 11 plants I ordered arrived in beautiful shape and are now
growing happily in my garden. Their packaging was MUCH better than that
of another mail order plant source often recommended here.

The three miniature "cascade roses" I ordered from them were backordered
and when they finally arrived were in very poor shape. Two were dried up
and dead, the third had one little three inch bit that was still alive.
I phoned Spring Hill and they immediately refunded me the money for the
roses. I put the damaged rose in the ground not expecting much. It
didn't do much that year, but now it looks like the picture in the
catalog. I just wish I had three instead of the one!

If you don't have locally owned nurseries with a good choice of
perennials, the Spring Hill spring catalog with the deep discount is
probably worth experimenting with. But if possible, it's better to buy
locally where you can choose the plant in person.

--Jenny