Old 22-06-2006, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default 3 year old apple trees not producing any more

Say about 4 hours. Most of my apple trees are semi-dwarfs on the west side of my
house and only get the afternoon sun. A few are on my south boundary north of a
line of my neighbors tall pines and buckthorn. Even less light gets there.

Sherwin D.

Jangchub wrote:

How long is half a day?

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 00:11:59 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

Maybe you should tell that to several apple trees in my backyard getting a half
day
of sun.

Sherwin D.

Jangchub wrote:

You will most likely never get apples. They require full sunshine.
Anything else I can say is moot. However, you also have to select the
proper chill hour trees.

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:41:37 GMT, TG wrote:

I picked up three apple trees 3 or 4 years back (in the spring), and
planted them in a semi shaded area, where there are some birch and
poplar trees growing about 3 meters away. All three trees produced fruit
the next year, (which surprised me) but have produced little or nothing
since.

They dont get a lot of direct sunlight where they are, but they seem to
be growing well and thriving, just not producing fruit. Last spring (05)
I planted 2 more in an area that gets a bit more sun and slightly more
out in the open, and it looks like they will produce a lot this fall.

Anyway, back to the first three I planted, I am wondering if it is a
matter of pruning, location, or both. I suppose I could possible move
them, although they are probably quite well rooted by now. But I have
seen other apple trees growing wild where they were quite shaded and
there was tons of apples on them, mind you that was in coastal BC and I
now live in northeastern Alberta.

So if anyone here could help me out I'd be grateful! I can send jpegs of
the trees locations or of the trees themselves if that would help...

TIA