Old 22-06-2006, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default 3 year old apple trees not producing any more

TG wrote:

Thanks

The trees seem very healthy, lots of leaves and new growth, just no
blossoms. I was thinking about pruning this fall/early winter, do you
know any good online resources on pruning?

There are numerous sites on the web about pruning. Just plug in 'fruit tree
pruning'
into google.

I am thinking about relocating them to a sunnier location, but they have
been in about 4 years now and are pretty established.

I would only move one at this time as an experiment to see if sunlight is
really
a factor here. Of course, moving it introduces a new variable of possibly
different
soil, etc.

Where they are
they do get 5-6 hours of sunlight in the months of may/june/jul and a
tad less on each side of those.

As I answered before, that normally is plenty of sunlight.

A soil test is a good idea, I did put in some fruit tree spikes this
spring as well.

sherwindu wrote:
TG,

Here are a few measures you can take to try and correct this problem.

Try some light Winter pruning. It sometimes stimulates the trees to
produce
blossoms.

Check the chemical makeup of the soil around the trees. It could be
something
like a Nitrogen deficiency, or something else.

Try pruning some of the trees shading the apple trees to see if light
is a factor. As
I have mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I have apple and other
fruit trees that
do ok in partial sun. It depends somewhat on which variety you have.

Sherwin D.

TG wrote:

Thanks for the answers all.

The first year they did not produce, it was the next year.

There has been very little or no blossoming in the past 2 springs

I am in zone 2 or 2a, and I'm not sure what the trees are as the labels

Just noticed this remark. You are in a very cold climate where most apple
varieties
will not thrive, or may even die. If your variety is not very cold hearty,
that could also
be the problem here. Strange that you were able to get blossoms the first
year, but you
may have had a mild winter that year.

Sherwin D.