Old 22-06-2006, 06:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
YT

Default Resod question

I just bought my first house a couple months ago, and I'm looking to
hire someone to lay some new sod (something I've never done before), and
was wondering if it's ok to just lay sod over a layer of topsoil. My
house sits on a hill with an ~20% grade, and a lot of the soil seems to
be eroding, so I want to try to stop the problem by laying new sod. The
contractor I talked to today said that because there will need to be new
topsoil thrown down (~4 inches), tearing up the old sod is a waste of
time, and money. He said that if they just throw the new sod on top of
the new topsoil, that will work fine. Does this sound right, or should I
find someone else to do the job? Will this be enough room for the roots
to grow? Thanks.