Old 22-06-2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default cocoa shells

my dogs are crazy for chocolate. of course most chocolate bars have very little
chocolate in them. still, none of my dogs have showed any interest in cocoa bean
mulch. stuff is pretty useless anyway, not worth the expense.
my dogs eat grapes and raisins all the time, in fact we had one springer-lab mix used
to eat all the ripe grapes right off the vine up as high as he could reach. never
had a problem with them. and there is documentation of foxes and wolves eating
pounds of grapes when they can get em. turns out canines have a sweet tooth. again,
doesnt hurt the foxes and wolves.
in the case of chocolate they have identified the compound that is toxic, in the case
of grapes they cannot find anything toxic, so it appears to be anecdotal, isolated
and/or allergic type reaction of individual dogs. every year it seems there is
something "new" that is deadly to dogs or cats. the latest is xylitol as in gum
containing this artificial sweetener.
YMMV. Ingrid

enigma wrote:

wrote in
:

you gotta have dogs willing to eat a whole lot of it. none
of my 6 dogs ever showed any interest in eating any.

acually, it doesn't take much, especially with a small dog. i
guess some dogs really go for chocolate, but none of mine ever
have either.
another thing to watch out for with dogs is grapes & raisins.
they cause kidney failure. my BIL lost a dog to raisins last
fall. the 4 year old dropped her box (snack size) of raisins
as they were going out. when they got home, the dog was near
dead. the vet couldn't save it. it was a Rottie cross, so not
a small dog.
lee

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/