Old 23-06-2006, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

Default Brill reel mower best?

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

You have a bent grass lawn?

What is bent grass lawn?

Bent grass is a kind of grass. It's usually the only grass [1] that's cut
with a reel mower. Using a reel mower on any of the more coarse grasses
will usually result in a cut you may not be happy with, as well as be much
harder on the knives, requiring sharpening more often. I suppose I should
have posed the question, "Why do you want a reel mower?".

[1]. It's not *the* only grass that can be cut with a reel mower, but
reels
are more suited to bents than other types of grass.

--
Eggs

-Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

I have a reel mower, which was great when I was cutting a relatively small
hybrid Bermuda lawn (about 4,000 sf). Reel mowers are also very good for
bentgrass and zoysia lawns which are other species that are happy at low
heights. My experience is that reel mowers have a tough time with Fescue
and other grasses which are typically mowed at 2" tall or higher. In
addition, it is misery using a reel mower to cut a lawn if you let the grass
get too tall. The mower bogs down and gouges the lawn, giving a washboard
effect. This means you need to mow fairly often.

The bottom line for me is that a manual reel mower is great for a smaller
lawn IF the grass is a species that tolerates relatively low mowing and IF
you have the time to cut the lawn more frequently than you'd cut it with a
power mower.

Now that I've got 12,000 sf of zoysia and another 3-4,000 sf of a
bermuda/fescue/weed mix, and about 1,000 sf of fescue, the reel mower is in
storage and I use a powered rotary push mower.

KB