Old 23-06-2006, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Lupins in the wild?

In article ,
Malcolm writes:

| To remove any doubt:
|
| Stace lists:
|
| 1. Tree Lupin. Lupinus arboreus
| 2. Russell Lupin. L. x regalis (L. arboreus x L. polyphyllos)
| 2x4. L. x regalis x L. nootkatensis
| 3. Garden Lupin. L. polyphyllus
| 3x4. L. polyphyllus x L. nootkatensis
| 4. Nootka Lupin. L. nootkatensis
| 5. White Lupin. L. albus
| 6. Narrow-leaved Lupin. L. angustifolius.
|
| All are stated as Introduced except Russell Lupin, which is a native.
^^^^^^^
I think that either he or you didn't mean to type that, unless he is
using a new and extremely bizarre meaning of the word "native"!
It is more traditionally called "of garden origin".

If he is, what his his criterion for distinguishing naturalised plants
of garden origin into "introduced" and "native", remembering that the
very concept of "species" is almost meaningless in many such cases,
and that the same cross is usually performed many times in many
countries?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.