Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
JimM

Default Advice : Service your own mower?

That's pretty much what I did to my mower. Obviously give it a good scrub on
the underside to get rid of any caked on crud, some people use a pressure
washer for this.
Rinse the air filter through in soapy water. rinse again in clean and leave
to dry, then add a little clean oil to the filter before replacing.
I took the blade off and sharpened it on a bench grinder. The nut fastening
this was set fast but a combination of a good spray of WD40, a little heat
from a blowtorch and brute force eventually got it off.
To be honest I can't notice any difference in the performance of the mower
but hopefully it will last a little longer

HTH

Jim

"Jolltax" wrote in message
. ..
Hiya,

My mower (it is a Mountfield with a Honda GCV135 motor) needs a service
before I start thrashing it across the lawn again this summer. It runs
great but I haven't touched it for over 2 years (embarassing!).

I am not particularly mechanically minded but there doesn't seem much to

it
so I thought I would have a bash at it myself:

Change oil
Clean air filter
Change / clean plug
Clean and lube the moving bits
Not sure how I sharpen the blade - maybe use a large file or just buy a

new
one?
Errr, cant think of anything else........

Has anyone got any tips or am I way off the mark here? Any good links?

I can buy some of the bits he

http://www.bartrammowers.co.uk/

Has anyone used them?

Thanks!