Old 23-06-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Rodney Pont

Default New pond

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:50:01 +0000, AlecTPR wrote:

I've had a new pond that I've put in about 2 weeks now and it's about
time to put some fishes in it.

It's a 1000 litre item, 2 1/2 foot deep with a decent enough pump and
filter (and uv bit).

I'm probably going to just put goldfish in it, something hardy, but
I've had various suggestions.

Goldfish are pretty hardy depending on where you are in the UK. In
North Yorkshire we don't get more than a thin layer of ice and that
won't be a problem providing you have some way to keep the surface open
so that they can breathe. You waterfall will do that very nicely
providing we don't get a really hard frost, it wouldn't freeze with the
recent winters we have had here.

Rosy Reds are a licenced fish in the UK and the seller must have a
licence so you may find it difficult to get them. Koi grow as large as
2-3 feet so they are out.

Should I go out and buy a job lot of 10 - 12 all in one go.

or buy 5 - 6 wait a couple of weeks then add another 6.

You would be best to put just two at a time in and monitor the ammonia
with a test kit. It will rise and then fall again as the bacteria get
growing and then you can add another two and watch the cycle again.

There is a stocking calculator at
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...pages/home.php and you can
read about ammonia and nitrates there if you are new to them.

I like the pond but the filter and hose stands out a bit at the moment
:-)
I'd shorten the outlet hose so that it looks a bit less intrusive, it
also slows down the pump flow unbelievably and the longer it is the
worse. We replaced out flexible hose with solid waste pipe and got 40%
more flow.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont