Old 23-06-2006, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eleni

Default A bit behind this year.

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

We're eating (outdoor) potatoes, lettuce and rhubarb. But I've had
the worst-ever year for seed germination in the open garden; the peas
and broad beans are just pathetic, rocket even worse, and I have a
grand total of 4 sweetcorn plants. Runner beans are sitting at the
bottom of their wigwam playing dumb; yesterday I tied them all to their
stake to give them a clue.

Yes, I got five runner bean plants only - saved seed sown in the
greenhouse and planted out some weeks ago, well watered and protected. One
is about three feet high, two rather less, one having to be shown what to
do and one sulking. And they're usually the most reliable crop :-(

I haven't sown in the open since we got the greenhouse, we only need a few
plants of each kind so I have more control over numbers if it's done
indoors. I do get over enthusiastic about tomatoes though ...

Mary

It's kinda the other way round for me - outdoor sown rocket, radish and
spinach have all done ok and I've been eating them for a few weeks. My
runner beans are also great - about 6 foot high and flowering well. The
only problem I really had this year was with my tomatoes, which started off
ok, altho I started them a little late, but when I put them outside they
suffered in the wind and very hot sun a few weeks ago. They now seem to
have recovered somewhat but no flowers to be seen yet. Wish I had a
greenhouse...

Eleni.