Old 23-06-2006, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Goedjn

Default Best insecticide for adult mosquitos????

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:06:55 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

wrote in
roups.com:

Mike Robinson wrote:
I am not sure where you live, but most of the good stuff
isnt available to consumers for good reason. Contact your
county's health dept and see if they will spray them for
free. It is a public health risk.

I'm beginning to get that impression. You would think
there's SOMETHING I could just spray some bushes with that
would kill them. I'm not talking about large-scale
eradication, just spraying a row of bushes and under the
deck. I know about county agents, but I seriously doubt
that I could pursuade one to come 30 miles out of town just
to spray under somebody's porch.

mosquitoes don't travel more than 100yards from point of
origin, so the first thing you need to do is get rid of any
standing water. if water puddles under your deck (or in your
gutters) for 4 days or longer, you're breeding mosquitoes.
those mosquito magnet things that run on propane do work for
small yards. put it as far from the deck as you can so you
don't bring the mosquitoes to you.
i have over 20 acres of marsh & wetlands, but since i'm a
fanatic about standing water & we got the chickens, we have no
mosquitoes near the house. the mosquitoes in the swamp don't
fly up to the house. go down there & you get eaten alive
though

lee

There are an awful lot of mosquito varieties in Texas,
and they all behave differently.
The texas cooperative extension has this to
say about controlling them:

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1744.html