Old 24-06-2006, 02:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Ledford

Default Best insecticide for adult mosquitos????

enigma wrote:

[....]

mosquitoes don't travel more than 100yards from point of
origin, so the first thing you need to do is get rid of any
standing water. if water puddles under your deck (or in your
gutters) for 4 days or longer, you're breeding mosquitoes.
those mosquito magnet things that run on propane do work for
small yards. put it as far from the deck as you can so you
don't bring the mosquitoes to you.
i have over 20 acres of marsh & wetlands, but since i'm a
fanatic about standing water & we got the chickens, we have no
mosquitoes near the house. the mosquitoes in the swamp don't
fly up to the house. go down there & you get eaten alive
though

GOOD JOB Lee! treat the source origin of the problem by removing
the mosquitoes ability to breed in an area where we really don't
want to have mosquitoes.

my 4 acres of marsh & wetlands is recently redefined by the county
tax office as waste land. I asked, is that because the mosquitoes
are in charge down there? county tax agent LOL and gave me a nice
tax break on this Farm as a result of being made aware of what the
county soil and water agent already knew. looks like the county
tax agent and the county soil and water agent would have talked
this over during one of their governmental guy-type trips to europe
or hawaii before I got my new tax bill and began the protest... sure
was nice of the county soil and water agent to help me out at that
point by explaining to the county tax agent how he'd never be able to
put a yankee house down there in that swamp. it was then 4 acres of
marsh & wetlands got redefined as waste land. I'm guessing if the tax
agent can't see a future revenue from a relocated yankee then it's waste
land and with that idea, next I'm going to attempt to have my entire Farm
redefined as waste land. can't hurt to try..

my advice to the original poster would be to inspect their entire
1/4 acre estate for inconspicuously placed cat food cans filled
with water, like LOOK under the deck or all through the hedge.
turn over a little mulch in that hedge

lee
--
war is peace