Old 23-06-2006, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Berry identification: murallas - red blueberries?!?

Tim C. writes
Following up to Tim Tyler :

I bought some berries here in Bristol - with
"murallas" written on the box.

They look like red and yellow blueberries -
but inside the seeds are like little rocks -
more like a guava than a blueberry.

Photos:

http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_1.jpg
http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_2.jpg

They taste great - but again: not much like
the blueberries they rather resemble.

I searched for murallas without much success.

Can any kind soul help me to ID these berries?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Could it be a sort of medlar? (Mespilus germanica)

If they're described as looking like blueberries, then I'd assume they
were that size, ie far too small for medlar.

Look like cranberry to me, or something of that family.
--
Kay