Old 23-06-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tyler

Default Berry identification: murallas - red blueberries?!?

K wrote or quoted:

Photos:

http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_1.jpg
http://timtyler.org/temp/murallas_2.jpg

Could it be a sort of medlar? (Mespilus germanica)

If they're described as looking like blueberries, then I'd assume they
were that size, ie far too small for medlar.

Look like cranberry to me, or something of that family.

They were smaller than most shop-bought blueberries.

More like the size of the blueberries I get on my
blueberry bushes at home.

The carton in the first photo is 10cm across.

There's a significant medlar similarity - apart from
the size issue.

They don't remind me much of cranberries. They are
certainly not very tart - and the insides seem
pretty different.
--