Old 24-06-2006, 11:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

Default Coffee Grounds for Fertilizer???

"Jethro" wrote in message
My neighbor swears by throwing coffee grounds at base of his small
trees to make them grow faster. And guess what? They do.

Anyone heard of this one?

Thanks

coffe grounds have, so I have read, an NPK of 3-1-2. Thats pretty close to
the levels of the pelletised poop fertiliser I use for my lawn. When spring
comes around I am going to try using coffee grounds as a lawn food. It makes
good compost. As it is finely ground, from my experience, it heats up
quickly. I have to turn my compost weekly to cool it down and stop it drying
out. Coffee grounds through the compost also seem to consume carbon quickly.
It also makes a 1/2 decent mulch though I reckon it is best mixed in with
other things in layers such as straw, hay, leaves or the like. Very thick
layers of coffee grounds suck up any rain and can stop it getting in to the
soil. It does a great job of keeping weeds down. It is also free in bulk
from cafes.

rob