Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Stephen Howard

Default Cutting Sleepers by hand

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:46:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On 17 Mar 2003 14:33:11 -0800, NWalch wrote:

How easy is it to cut railway sleepers with a bow saw.

My, admitedly limited experience, of trying to cut, split or otherwise
reduce in bulk railway sleepers indicates that they are made of the
wood equivalent of concrete. These where real ex-service sleepers mind
not just 7' lengths of 10 x 5 softwood though.

The sleepers I've come across have been covered in goo and impregnated
with all sorts of icky stuff - and I've found that only a really sharp
bow saw will do the trick, and you have to be careful the cut doesn't
wander.
Even better is a good old-fashioned logging saw ( bit like a rip saw,
only about four feet long ). These things often turn up at the local
tip, and can be had for a couple of quid.

An hour with a file and a stone will put a decent edge on the teeth,
and make it a joy to use.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk