Old 24-06-2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Default Tomato Problems

JD wrote:
Location - South Central Kentucky

This is a recurring problem every year. I'm not sure, but neighbors
claim it is some sort of blight. When the humidity of summer finally
sets in, my tomato plants start turning yellow from the bottom up. No
matter how well I keep them watered and mulched. I've sprayed
fungicides, insecticides, and tried most everything. Neihbors and I are
at our wits end. Leaves are beginning to curl up like when aphids are
on them and the leaves on the very bottom of the plant have turned
yellow. If nothing is done, in a few weeks my tomatos will have stopped
being tomato plants and would have become compost.

Any help would be appreciated. I hate spending all this time on vines
that were beautiful all spring and then fall to pieces in the summer
months.

JD.

I live in SW Louisiana, temps today at 11:15 am are 93F with humidity at
96%. We mulch our tomatoes (and everything else) with layers of
newspaper and then put dried grass clipping or ground leaves on top of
that. No yellowing at the bottom and no die off. Used to have the same
problem you had until we started mulching about fifteen years ago.

George