Old 24-06-2006, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

Default Planting flowers in July? With dark clouds in the sky?

"Vivek.M" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello, I got a whole bunch of seeds ( not very expensive; paid Rupees
120; that's USD 2.6 approxi. ). The seeds a Chrysanthimum,
Antirrhinum, Cockscomb, Candytuft,
Sunflower, Aster, Salvia, Larkspur and Hollyhock - 1 packet each.

I plan to plant them directly in bed's that are well dug up and well
aereated; I'll dig to maybe 1/2 a foot depth and keep the soil soft.
Temperature is between 17 and 32 but the sky is cloudy with monsoon
clouds and Chrysanthimum's don't like too much water. I'll keep the bed
sheltered but that will cut down on the light and the flowers i've got
need lots of light and sunshine.

So what should i do? Scrap the whole bed idea and plant them in plastic
1 litre milk packets?
I could then keep them on the roof of the house which gets maximum
sunlight. The sky is grey..
I'm a little late in planting, should have started in Feb..but this is
India and Bangalore does have sunny stretches..

I've also bought some veggies ( Pumpkin, Radish, Brinjal and Bell
Pepper ).

I'm planting it anyway but was wondering if i could salvage the
situation in some way ?

Hi Vivek,

We welcome new URGlers around here, but I don't think many of us know much
about your growing conditions and seasons etc, particularly monsoons. We
don't have monsoon season here, although Wimbledon starts on Monday, so you
might think it was a monsoon by about Wednesday. :-)) Still, there probably
won't be any brits left in by then, so the rain won't matter much.

But I digress. As you say, you should have sown your seeds in Feb, is that
according to the instructions on the packet, and are they instructions for
India? One of the things which is very relevant to plant development is
daylight length, they can tell when the days are getting longer. We have
quite a large variation between summer and winter, right now it's light till
almost 10pm if it's been a sunny day, in winter it's dark by 4. A friend
told me that in Korea the variation is only about an hour, what is it like
in India?

I think you should try to get information from either the net or from books
specific to your climate and conditions. And talk to people locally whose
gardens you can see are doing well. If they're anything like British
gardeners they'll be glad to share their knowledge with you.

Not that we won't help when we can of course.

Steve