Old 24-06-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default New urgler : Vivek.M - from Bangalore, India.

"Vivek.M" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Jen, neat site !! How do you prevent dampness in the roof ?

It was meant to be a terrace when built. It's concrete and I just added pots
and gravel :~))

Have you given it a incline

No. Any excess water runs away through drain[pipes at the corners.

won't the plants slow down evaporation of water from in-between the gravel?

Ys :~)) I have a theory that the gravel keeps the roof damp and therefore
make the lead coping dry out less and therefore keeps the roof in better
condition.

What about in winter?

About half the pots stay where they are. Some tender plants are bought into
the greenhouse.

Have you had any problems with the roof?

Not where the plants are. The upper roof of the second floor with no plants
ect started to leak and had to be repaired!

And how did you figure out the load bearing capacity off the roof -
structural engineer?

I got in touch with the architect and the builder. It's 150 kilos per square
meter. My original plan was to have a shallow pond with the water being
pumped round, but that was too heavy :~((

Most of the heavy pots are around the edge or on top of a load bearing wall
about 2/3 way down the 'garden'.

What's your roof like??
Got any pictures??

Jenny