Old 24-06-2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Default Tree roots need deep watering

Plant Man

"The trees are planted in Fairfax Virginia and our soil is clay and
rocks...also how soon before we feed them and what do you suggest
feeding them?"

FIRST, Autotrophs make their own food. Heterotrophs have to have it made for
them. Trees are AUTOTROPHS! People who say they feed trees have no
understanding of photosynthesis. For people who say they can feed a tree -
I would say, feed the tree real good and then place it in a closet. Look
up - "TREE FOOD" http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/T/index.html

We can feed the system, or feed the soil carbon based cellulose.

Also, wound dressing or so-called tree paint does not stop decay. Unless
you desire to stimulate decay to create a cavity for small wildlife, wound
dressing really does not do much good. It sounds like you have sap suckers.
They are protected in USA.

Look up "wound dressing" http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/W/index.html
Also see: Journal of Arboriculture 9(12): Dec 1983 WOUND DRESSINGS: RESULTS
OF STUDIES OVER 13 YEARS by Alex L. Shigo and Walter C. Shortle

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.