Old 25-06-2006, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Growing Oregano

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote after

[...]
No. It should be planted in poor soil, kept in full sun, and given
minimal fertiliser.

As Nick says you are doing to your Oregano what the growers do to modern
flowers, grow them with max fertilizer so they grow quickly, effect being
they also loose their scent.
Bought any spray Carnations recently? Should have an overpowering scent, bet
they didn't smell of anything.

It's also part of our Disneyfied culture that breeders go for looks
rather than scent. Personally, I think it's a Trades Descriptions Act
case when they sell "sweet" peas which aren't sweet. No, scrub that:
it's not only dishonest trading, it's cultural genocide. Lock 'em up
for life.

--
Mike.