Old 25-06-2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

Default Tree trimming service - difference?

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:37:43 -0400, "miamicuse"
wrote:

I need some tree service done to a property. Two black olive trees need
pruning/trimming/cleaning, one mango tree and oak tree was severly damaged
by hurricane Wilma to the point they are beyond recovery need to be cut down
and removed. A bottle brush that toppled need to be removed also.

I looked up three companies in the yellow pages and asked them to provide a
free estimate.

Company 1:
Clean/prune black olive tree: $450 per tree
Cut down damaged oak: $350
Cut down mango: $350
Cut down bottle brush: $200
Haul & disposal: $800
Total: $2600

Company 2:
Mango cut and haul: $850
Oak cut and haul: $150
Black olives trim: $750 each
Bottle brush cut and haul: $150
Total: $2650

Company 3:
Quoted me a lump sum of $1000 to do everything include hauling away.

Company 1 and 2 have pretty close bottom line. But look at the trim fee for
the black olives, $450 vs $850 each, why such drastic difference?

and company 3? So much cheaper?

How do I make comparisons? I have no knowledge of any of these companies?
Don't know if they are reputable or not.

Any advise on questions to ask them?

MC - location in Miami, FL zone 10

Arborists typically bid a pruning job based on the smallest dead
branches to be removed. A tree that has large, unsafe dead wood might
be pruned to a 2" standard (remove all dead branches at least 2"
diameter) fairly cheaply. A tree that is being pruned to look
absolutely perfect might be quoted at 1/2" diam. or even 1/4" diam.

A good arborist rarely removes interior growth, but might spend time
at the ends of branches reducing weight. It is much faster and easier
to strip out the interior, but is quite bad for the tree.

Some companies employ experienced climbers, possibly with ISA
certification (Certified Arborist or Certified Tree Worker). Others
hire day laborers or whomever they can get to show up for minimum
wage. Guess which costs more? Guess which tends to produce better
results?

So, ask:
--What is the smallest branch you will prune?

--What material will be removed, and why?

--Who will do the work, and what are their qualifications?

--Are you insured? Can I see a certificate to prove it? (Make sure
the insurance states that the company is insured for tree work--your
yard man's liability insurance probably does not cover workers who
leave the ground).

--Can I have a list of references? (Call to ask how they liked the
work; go look at the trees if possible, to confirm that they have not
been stripped out, topped, or otherwise overpruned.)

But first, visit www.treesaregood.com to educate yourself about what
constitues good tree work. Then you will be in a better position to
ask questions and evaluate the answers.

Good luck,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT