Old 25-06-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default Amaryllis bulbs, bulblets and fertilizer

Java wrote:
Hi folks,

I hope someone out there has some suggestions.

I have some Amaryllis plants that I am trying to keep flowering and
some Amaryllis 'youngsters' that I started from seed about 5 years ago.

One of the adults has produced bublets that are now producing bulblets
themselves, but no blooms. One of my 'younsters' has even produced a
bulblet without ever flowering.

I have been using a 10-15-10 fertilizer.

Any suggestions on how to encourage to bulb to grow instead of
producing bulblets?

Are these Amaryllis belladonna or are these Hippeastrum (commonly called
amaryllis)? See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_hippeastrum.html for an
explanation of the difference.

If these are Amaryllis belladonna, disturbing the roots at the wrong
time of the year (e.g., by dividing bulbs or repotting) can stop them
from blooming for several years. Hippeastrum do not have this problem.

For either Amaryllis or Hippeastrum, overfeeding can suppress blooming.
Another cause of non-blooming can be too much shade.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean