Old 25-06-2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mary Beth

Default Hydrangea wilting in the sun

"Sonia Van Tassel" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently bought a 5 gallon hydrangea (lacecap) that was listed as
sun/part-shade tolerant. I planted it in a spot that gets a fair amount
of sun and it has been drooping in the middle of the day even after I
give it plenty of water.

I am wondering if I should transplant it or try to give the plant some
time to 'adapt' to the location I put it in; do plants adapt to their
light exposure?

This is the first year I've planted a hydrangea, and I put it in a corner
of our yard, (near the junction of two fences), and after a few weeks, it
got really limpy, with or without water. I save rainwater around here in
Kansas to water all my plants, inside or outdoors, in a drier spell, which
out here in summer is 3-4 days !! Small baby pools or other larger bins.
Then I dip my watering cans in and drain them all out.
Also the ones on the front porch that are under the awning.

(Yeah, yeah I know all about skeeter spawning grounds but trust me the water
is gone with a day or so.)
Anyway, I thought all was gone, when I saw it wilted up and just a real
nasty piece of work. Finally made it over there to pull it out, and looked
under all the wilted dried out flowers/leaves......

AHA !!! I luckily lo and behold, it has obviously gotten into it's own.
IT's coming up like gangbusters! Don't know if I'll get any blooms on it but
next year it will certainly be gorgeous!
IWY, I'd wait it out, water when needed, and when it starts to wilt and dry
out, (just about ALL of it did this with mine!), keep it there, and keep
watering. The new sprigs that are coming out were really small but growing
to full size every day! I was quite thrilled.

Moving here to Kansas, and getting used to all the variety of things I can
grow, but more importantly, not expecting them to just keep on doing great,
like my hydrangea, and letting *it* takes its time to acclimate to my new
yard, soil and placement, is well worth it.

If yours comes back, please let me know!

Best wishes,
MaryBeth