Old 25-06-2006, 06:58 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

Default Comfrey

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 00:13:57 GMT, "David Wright"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
A poultice is applied to the
skin, not ingested. I would never ingest comfrey as it is rather
toxic to the liver.

Maybe you could explain how something applied to the skin could benefit
any
internal part without getting into the blood stream, and, therefore, going
through the liver.

David

You didn't post my entire words, so that was pretty sneaky. At any
rate, there are countless prescription drugs on the market right now
which are absorbed by patch, through the skin. Ever hear the term
systemic?

I'd like to know how you are you using this term.

Also, if you would have read what I said, it goes like this:

"I would NEVER ingest comfrey as it is rather toxic to the liver."

In the first part of my op I said YEARS AGO people prescribed the
poultice.

I wasn't trying to be sneaky at all, and I apologize if I came across that
way.

My point was that anything absorbed through the skin would have to get into
the circulatory system to go anywhere else in the body, and, if it does get
into the blood stream, it will go through the liver, same as if it were
ingested. No way to avoid it.

David