Old 26-06-2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hydrangea wilting in the sun

Sonia Van Tassel wrote:
I recently bought a 5 gallon hydrangea (lacecap) that was listed as
sun/part-shade tolerant. I planted it in a spot that gets a fair amount
of sun and it has been drooping in the middle of the day even after I
give it plenty of water.

I am wondering if I should transplant it or try to give the plant some
time to 'adapt' to the location I put it in; do plants adapt to their
light exposure?

Hydrangas do best with in a spot that receives shade/filtered-sun from
late-morning to early afternoon (10AM-3PM) -- near the base of a decent
size shade tree is perfect. Also a nice layer of mulch/regular
watering serves them well because they tend to be pretty thirsty.

To the other poster: PH of the soil largely determines the color of
blooms. High PH (alkaline) produces pink, low PH (acidic) gives blue
flowers.

Patrick