Old 26-06-2006, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

Default Hydrangea wilting in the sun

"Sonia Van Tassel" wrote:

I recently bought a 5 gallon hydrangea (lacecap) that was listed as
sun/part-shade tolerant. I planted it in a spot that gets a fair amount
of sun and it has been drooping in the middle of the day even after I
give it plenty of water.

Hi Sonia,

The hydra in hydrangea comes from the fact that they like water. When
newly planted the roots haven't adapted to being transplanted and the
plant has trouble taking up enough water in the heat of the day. This
should be a temporary condition and the plant should grow out of it if
there is enough phosphorus in the soil which is necessary for proper
root development.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6