Old 25-06-2006, 10:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default pearlscale goldfish questions and help request

"Lisa" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All! This is my first time here!
As a retirement project my husband and I will be building an indoor
pond in the kitchen which should be 10' x 6' x 2' to house oxygenating
plants, ryukins, orandas, fantails and pearlscale goldfish.

You musy have a huge kitchen. ;-)

In the pet
stores where I live the quality of most of the goldfish is "barely" ok.
But the pearlscales (my favorites!!!) are not even up to that!
Short of importing directly are there ANY breeders here in the USA that
are producing quality pearlscales? ANYBODY??? I have found a whole
four places that carry pearlscale goldfish regularly where I can drive
a few hours to examine them prior to choosing rather than sight unseen
over the web. I am considering it lucky when I find mostly undamaged
ones which of course only have one anal tail or only "some" flat scales
instead of completely pearled.

If you want a near-perfect fish you will pay quite a hefty sum for it.

Is anyone specialty breeding for pearlscales with the longer finnage?
(and is this called Phoenix tailed, veiltail or broadtail for
pearlscales?) These are my absolute favorite!!!!!

You can check out www.goldfishconnection.com. I've seen some real beauties
there. I believe it's in PA. He's an importer. If he doesn't have on hand
what you want I'm sure he can get them for you.

Are there websites where goldfish potential buyers go to "split" an
order if necessary to order from China? I know I would not have the
facilities required for a full order. How could I get a translator to
make it clear they are strictly for personal enjoyment not competition?
Any help is greatly appreciated!! Really!!! Thanks!! Lisa in NJ
(I just am not interested in the quality levels of pearlscale goldfish
seen nearby in NJ and PA except for 4 extraordinary stores all of which
are 2-2 1/2 hours away from where I live and NONE of them have the
pearlscales with the longer fins as seen while drooling at Chinese
websites!!!) I hope this doesn't seem inflammatory, it is so
frustrating and sad to not have access to the quality level I want at
home!!!

--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.