Old 25-06-2006, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting flowers in July? With dark clouds in the sky?

Vivek. M writes
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:37:26 +0100, K wrote:
Can you erect a cover with clear plastic a few feet off the ground?
You'll get a lot more light than we do, so the impact of clear plastic
wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks K, I'll try that. It's just rained and we had been digging so
the soil is soft and has had a light shower. If i plant now and keep
the rain off for a bit, things should turn out okay.

It's interesting to look at our different perspectives. On winter, lower
parts of my garden are distinctly soggy, so I have to make sure the
plants I grow are ones that don't mind being cold and wet. In summer,
all rain is Good. I don't have any problem with it being too dry, but
there are some areas of the garden where I can grow moisture loving
plants like primroses and some areas where they are unhappy.

One thing that isn't a problem ever is the amount of rain. Just
occasionally, we may get an inch of rain in a day, and we all ooh and
aah over it, but sheltering plants from the rain is not normally
something we would think of doing.
--
Kay