Old 25-06-2006, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Vivek.M writes
Having such a small garden .......................

What about some pictures Dave ?
Jenny "~))

bursts into laughter Anyway. Dave, did some googleing. Check out:
1. http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/~mushroo.../glossary.html
Apparently fungi can speed up de-composition.
2. http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/C764-w.htm
Apparently nitrogen speeds up de-composition.

I also read an article where they said that it would not make sense to
plant legumes and then plow them under and then plant crop immediately
because the de-composing veg matter would hog all the nitrogen.

You could try dusting the chopped banana-stem in a Nitrogen-fertilizer
and placing it seperately in a corner of the compost pit where it's
nice and warm, with plenty of veg matter and purchased fungi. Link 1
has names of fungi..or just wiki that.

Give us the results - if you try this !

I don't think Dave has room for a compost heap (1) ;-)

'Small' in an English garden means small. The first house I lived in as
an adult had a garden 20ft wide and 15ft deep.

(1) certainly not a banana sized one!
--
Kay