Old 26-06-2006, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Is this orchid doomed?

I haven't posted in quite a while... but last fall I had a question
about a phal which had some black spots on it & poor colour on a leaf
or two. I tried cinnamon on the black spots in case it was fungal, &
at least they didn't spread...
But recently the newest leaf died & dropped off. The base of it is
brown & shrivelled in the crown. The other leaves look fine & it has a
set of flowers which it has had since before that leaf died. The roots
are also good. I am generally very careful about watering, & not
letting it sit in the crown, but this one has a sort of loose crown;
the leaves' angles vary so there are some gaps, & I wonder if the
problem was rot. I would like to know if this means the crown has died
& thus the plant is doomed, or whether it's possible, if the rest of
the plant is healthy, that from somewhere down there it would be able
to start a new leaf. It would be very disappointing if this one died,
because it is my dad's favourite, which he picked out & bought, for me
to look after for him.
Is there any hope...????

Alison