Old 26-06-2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht

Default Growing nice tomato's...

"D.Reid" wrote:

...is alot like bass fishing! It's a pain in the butt. They are finicky...it
takes major effort, patience and expense.

-snip-

Another thing I have found that helps is to plant several varieties.
If one doesn't like the weather, another might. [it would seem that
maybe someone has compiled a list of heat loving, cold tolerating,
wet loving & dry loving tomatoes]

I'm up near Albany in NY & it looks like I might get a ripe tomato
this year by the 4th of July-- that is the holy grail of tomato lore
in this area. I rarely have any set fruit by the 4th. This is the
first year I've planted Scotia & the 6 Scotia plants are loaded with
small fruit.

Celebrity has a couple fruit- my Brandywine, San Marzano & Roma
plums, Beefmaster, and Sweet 100's all have lots of blossoms, but no
fruit yet. I buy flats of 6 and gave 4 Sweet 100's away, but
couldn't part with any of the others. I'll give away some fruit,
and dry a bunch- the rest of what we can't eat fresh goes to salsa and
chili sauce.

I planted early for this area because weather permitted- mid May,
instead of end of May. The ground was warm & I was prepared to
cover them with buckets if frost threatened, but never needed them.
I mulch with grass clippings once the lawn needs mowing. I feed
once with tomato food as they set fruit. I till shallowly between the
rows of cages.

What has worked for me is;
1. Get them in the ground.
2. Keep them warm.
3. Keep them evenly, but not overly watered.
4. Don't overfeed, but don't starve them.
5. Mix up the varieties in hopes that one likes the weather.

Good luck,
Jim