Old 26-06-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default homeopathic remedies for plant diseases

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

Anyone who HAS tried homeopathy is likely to be a bit of an enthuasiast
begin with.

Not at all. IME, cynical disbelief and no expectation of success (by
both the patient and the referring doctor) is a common way in to
treatment. I'd never even heard of it before the first time a GP
suggested it as a last resort; which she did in terms of utmost
cynicism. A year of various different conventional treatments had all
failed. So, I had no positive expectations anything else would succeed.

The NHS in Scotland would not have sunk funding into moving the (NHS)
Glasgow Homeopathic Hospital from its previous, Victorian premises to a
brand new, purpose built centre, if the service it has provided for
decades was ineffectual or uneconomic.

All I know is that in the few cases where properly controlled double blind
experiments were carried out, there was no difference between treatment and
placebo. Everyone (including me) knows someone who knows of successful
treatments by it. Sadly though, when tested properly, these effects
disappear. All good clean harmless fun with a daft explanation underlying
it and far preferable to all manner of psychics and crystals etc. but still
usefless by the looks of it.

http://www.adhom.com/adh_download/evid82.PDF

Janet