Old 26-06-2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Java

Default Amaryllis bulbs, bulblets and fertilizer

I really do not know if they are A. belladonna or Hippeastrum. I am
guessing Hippeastrum since they were sold under the name of Amaryllis,
not Naked Lady.

My adult plants (those I bought) are all producing blooms. However,
one has started producing a small flower along with bulblets.

I really do not know what I am doing with the bulblets or seedlings. I
accidentally pollinated one of the plants so I thought it would be
worth the experiment.

The bulblets and seedlings are not really large enough to produce good
blooms. What could be causing a few of them to be producing bulblets
themselves instead of making a larger bulb? What encourages good bulb
growth?

David E. Ross wrote:
Java wrote:

Are these Amaryllis belladonna or are these Hippeastrum (commonly called
amaryllis)? See my
http://www.rossde.om/garden/garden_hippeastrum.html for an
explanation of the difference.

For either Amaryllis or Hippeastrum, overfeeding can suppress blooming.
Another cause of non-blooming can be too much shade.