Old 26-06-2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jerome R. Long

Default What's eating my garden?

If I had your problem I would put some cantlope rinds in the garden. They are
groundhog magnets and should be 100% consumed the first day if you have
groundhogs. I purchased a HavaHart trap which I use to catch groundhogs,
coon, possums and the like. If you have those critters it is $60 well spent.

In article cKXkg.1883$Za5.1491@trnddc04, says...

"greenfoot" wrote in message
roups.com...

[snip]

It sounds like rabbits to me.

Well they would be the most likely suspects. But Pat's groundhog idea has
gotten me thinking.

They are somewhat nocturnal, so you may
not see them unless you are up looking early in the morning. The whole
world is their salad bar, but they seem to prefer your prized plants.

Pat seemes to disagree. I wouldn't put it past them, but Pat's description
seems to agree with what I'm seeing. This is like total defloration to the
stem - I kind of expected rabbits to do a little more sporadic munching. And
those leaves are awful spiky.

Here is a few things that I know they've eaten out of my gardens this
year:
tomato plants bitten of at the ground, Broccoli, brocolli and more
(climbed over a fence). Beans, peas, beets, greens. Blueberry bushes.
Branches from small cherry tree. Marigolds. Sunflowers. Zinnas.
Aster. Various other anual an perennial flowers.

I know they will munch these things! Just seemed weird with these squash
leaves as they're so prickly.

I don't often see them. I have a dog who loves to chase animals, but
usually sleeps inside... or under the deck.

I have tried all the usual things. Small fences are the only thing
that works. Sometimes you can take the fence away when the plants
mature. Sometimes you think you can, but find destroyed plants the
next morning.
Lots of luck. I wish there were more free roaming cats around.
gf

Well, we've got some cats, but those lazy b%$#&* don't seem to be doing
their job! - too concerned with the free meals at the trash cans! I think
I'm going to have to fence. Maybe I can just do one of my plots though.

Thanks,
Steve