Old 26-06-2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default Is this orchid doomed?

On 25 Jun 2006 19:52:39 -0700, wrote:

I haven't posted in quite a while... but last fall I had a question
about a phal which had some black spots on it & poor colour on a leaf
or two. I tried cinnamon on the black spots in case it was fungal, &
at least they didn't spread...
But recently the newest leaf died & dropped off. The base of it is
brown & shrivelled in the crown. The other leaves look fine & it has a
set of flowers which it has had since before that leaf died. The roots
are also good. I am generally very careful about watering, & not
letting it sit in the crown, but this one has a sort of loose crown;
the leaves' angles vary so there are some gaps, & I wonder if the
problem was rot. I would like to know if this means the crown has died
& thus the plant is doomed, or whether it's possible, if the rest of
the plant is healthy, that from somewhere down there it would be able
to start a new leaf. It would be very disappointing if this one died,
because it is my dad's favourite, which he picked out & bought, for me
to look after for him.
Is there any hope...????

Alison

If it is crown rot you have a 50/50 shot at keeping the plant alive
long enough for it to keikei. I would pour a bottle of hydrogen
peroxide down thru the crown. As if you were watering the plant but
thru the crown. Then take a good look. IS there a new leaf? or just
a core of black rot? If it is rot - go buy hydrogen peroxide and
water with that always down over the crown. When exposed to air it
turns to water and o2 any way. But on the way it will kill some of
the rot. You can try your cinnamon in there as well.

Eventually - may take 18-24 months, there is a good chance it will
produce a keikei from the basal area below the bottom leaf. Watch for
it as they sometimes get tangled in the aerial roots.

Good luck
SuE