Old 26-06-2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Digging pond - dirt and grass

wrote in message
oups.com...
My son has begun digging me a pond and without knowing better dug up
the grass and just threw it and the dirt to the side on top of existing
lawn (I had carefully removed the grass and composted it and then moved
the dirt elsewhere when I had dug my ponds). So my question is - has
anyone else just piled the excess dirt and grass on top of the grass
next to the pond and left that as a hill. If so, what were the
consequences? Did the grass just compost away after you put plants in
the hill of soil or what?

We used the excess dirt on the low side as our property slopes where the
ponds are. It forms a berm and support for the low side. The sod was
buried by the soil as we all dug. It was then covered with several inches
of topsoil and planted. It worked out fine.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.