Old 26-06-2006, 08:32 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Iodine absorption by plants

Big Bobby Clobber wrote:
Are there any specific types of plants that absorb iodine
from the soil and water moreso than other plants?

Iodine is not known to be an essential element for higher (vascular)
plants, and I am not aware of any that accumulate iodine. However, some
seaweeds certainly do accumulate a lot. Many years ago when I was an
undergrad in Swansea, Wales, a lecturer told a story (possibly
apocryphal!) about a man who started feeling unwell and went into
hospital for tests. It turned out that when asked about his diet he was
a fanatical lava bread (Porphyra- a red seaweed) eater. On a hunch a
doctor held a Geiger counter next to his thyroid and it went
ballistic!! The alga had apparently accumulated radio-iodine from the
seawater which had originated from very small amounts emitted by
nuclear plants on the North Sea. Apparently, the nuclear scientists
(who knew about this potential problem) had done their calculations
based on an above average consumption of lava bread, but not for
someone who ate it every meal, every day!! The doctors solution was to
feed the man with non-radiactive iodine, to flush out the radioisotope-
and it worked.
Best Wishes,
Martin Hodson