Old 26-06-2006, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jane

Default First Attempt to Make Compost

This is my first attempt at making compost. I have a plastic dalek bin and
I've been adding vegetation as and when I have it, over the past 6 weeks.
I've added things in layers so as not to add too much of one thing at once,
and I've poked it a few times to stir it around a bit. I know it'll
probably take a year before it's ready to use, but at the moment nothing
seems to be actually happening. Should the heap be hot or warm to the touch
or is it normal for it to be cold? Is there anything else I should be
doing, or is it just a matter of time and patience?

Thanks.