Old 26-06-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
les

Default Garden Fountain

I am considering installing a water feature (fountain) in my garden. My
concern is how to stop it freezing up in winter. Will the movement of the
water be sufficient or is it necessary to add some non-toxic additive?

I would be interested to know how other posters overcome this problem. I am
told that vodka acts as a non-toxic anti-freeze. If so, what would be an
appropriate mix of vodka/water for temperatures down to say -5C? I would
hate to have drunken birds flying around the garden!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Les