Old 26-06-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Lupins in the wild?

On 24 Jun 2006 22:21:46 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
trin writes:

| We are in the s/west. Well drained loam but probably good rather than
| poor. Is rain the problem in the west? This was a sudden whim of his.
| We will have a biggish area to fill so perhaps its worth a go to see
| what happens. It may have to be something else rather than lupins.

Yes. Lupins are typically dry terrain plants, adapted to growing in
poor soils that hold water badly. Let him have a go, but you will
almost certainly need something else.

Many of the tips of waste sand and rock from the china clay industry
at St. Austell are planted with tree lupins, acres and acres of them.
The sand is very free draining, and being leguminous they provide
their own nitrogen. The scent when you're in among them on a hot sunny
day is truly overwhelming.

--
Chris