Old 26-06-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

DavePoole Torquay writes
Kay wrote:

I don't think Dave has room for a compost heap (1) ;-)
'Small' in an English garden means small. The first house I lived in as
an adult had a garden 20ft wide and 15ft deep.
(1) certainly not a banana sized one!

In total it is 6.5m wide and 10m. deep - a typical size for an
Edwardian town house this close to the sea. There's a 'green lane' -
a service track behind, which enables me to carefully disguise a
compost heap of sorts under a massive Fuchsia (currently about 3m. high
and 4m across).

Is that the dimensions of the compost heap or the fuchsia?

Jenny, I'm keeping a photo-record where I can get decent shots. I'll
get them up onto a site at some stage. This gives you some idea of
what I'm up to nowadays:

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...view&current=l
asio.jpg

Lovely! I do like plants to look enthusiastic and abundant, as if
they're bursting out of their available space. I hate the 'bare soil
dotted with plants' look.

I've just got a new garden :-)
My dad is moving up north, and the garden is exactly 'bare soil dotted
with plants' - all lovingly tended by current owner, who lavishes much
attention on, for example, growing primulas on a dry bank. It's the
opposite to my moist and shaded garden, so I can't wait!

--
Kay