Old 26-06-2006, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default First Attempt to Make Compost

Jane writes
This is my first attempt at making compost. I have a plastic dalek bin and
I've been adding vegetation as and when I have it, over the past 6 weeks.
I've added things in layers so as not to add too much of one thing at once,
and I've poked it a few times to stir it around a bit. I know it'll
probably take a year before it's ready to use, but at the moment nothing
seems to be actually happening. Should the heap be hot or warm to the touch
or is it normal for it to be cold? Is there anything else I should be
doing, or is it just a matter of time and patience?

You can either compost hot (bacteria) or cold (worms and fungi). Hot is
quicker but more difficult to achieve - easier in a big heap and very
difficult in something as small as a dalek. So from your point of view,
cold is OK. Stop worrying about it and leave it alone for 6 months (or a
year if your patience will stand it). By that time the bottom should
have rotted, but you will always have a layer on top of unrotted stuff,
so looking in at the top you will always feel not much has happened.

The only other thing to worry about is keeping the compost moist enough
- if you have woodlice or ants in it, is too dry. Add water from any
source and recycled beer, wine or whatever is your preferred tipple.
--
Kay