Old 26-06-2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Default Yellow jackets in my garden

In article ,
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote:

Do they bother you when you working in the garden? I'm afraid to pull a
turnip for fear of there being a bee on it that does not take kindly to my
pulling it's food source out

No, unless of course you squeeze it. RARE!

We get some hornets here, but not very many and they are not very agressive
(unless you disturb their nest). But yellow jackets are *everywhere*.

They like to eat meat luckily very small meat )

I'm curious that they are ignoring the trap I put out. It came with some
"attractant", but I'm thinking they are not interested in that, they want
food, so maybe I need to put some meat or fruit in the trap?

In my yellow trap ( Color matters!!)_ I just put sugar water 1:4 .
Same as hummers NO COLOR dye stuff YUK . They (Jackets) can get in
easy but is difficult to get out and drown.

Now taking out a nest is another matter and I'd do it at night with a
simple toxin or water . A hose with water first choice. Pyrethrum my
second choice . Search 1600 X-clude.

http://www.google.com/search?q=1600%20X-clude

Spray cover with a rock or dirt. I use this in my home. Carefully.
Be also aware that Parkinson disease and insecticides are being
recognized as being related. Rotenone seemingly innocuous is not the
case. So if you spray do it with care and concern for you and yours and
even the other critters in your garden world.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade